Welcome to the first edition of our digital Design Directions newsletter. We are excited about the new format and hope that all of you are as well. Many thanks to Brian McCashin and the Design Directions Committee for their hard work in making this happen.
Congratulations are in order to the many 2017 ASID MN Design Awards winners in both residential and commercial categories, the Student Design award winners, as well as our Chapter Awards for Volunteers, Mentorship, Emerging Talent, Star Award and Designer of Distinction. Thank you for your dedication to ASID MN and your design excellence.
I recently attended the ASID President’s Forum in LA where I met other chapter presidents and gained valuable information. I was also very inspired by the keynote speakers and in particular John Cary who wrote Design For Good, which “draws a clear line between the spaces we inhabit and the social justice we seek.” His book highlights projects like The Cottages of Hickory Crossing built in Dallas for chronically homeless people and the Maternity Waiting Village in Malawi where expectant mothers can live in safety while receiving expert medical attention. These projects “are a reminder that great design is not a finite resource; it is a choice we can all make by listening more, empathizing more and demanding more for humanity … there must always be room for dignity,” Melinda Gates. Inspirational words to remember for all designers. I am very proud that we here at ASID MN have accomplished similar work (albeit in a smaller venue) with our 2017 Community Service Project for People Serving People homeless shelter in Minneapolis. I look forward to our next endeavor.
Letitia Little, ALLIED ASID, CID
President, ASID MN Chapter
FROM YOUR ASID MN PRESIDENT
DID YOU KNOW …
- ASID has 25,000 member practitioners, educators and emerging professionals
- 300 Student Chapters Nationwide (ASID MN has four of them)
- More than 2,000 Industry Partners
- Founded in 1975, ASID is the oldest, largest, and leading professional organization for interior designers. As we celebrate our rich, vibrant history, we look forward to the exciting opportunities that lie ahead.
- ASID is a community of designers, industry representatives, educators and students committed to interior design.